CDH Story: One of CDH members meeting story
I- Travel information:
Several companies currently serve Togo: AirFrance www.airfrance.fr Africa Airways, 190 rue de Rivoli 75001 Paris - Tél :01.42.96.49.96. It is a Libyan company that provides rotations via Tripoli. Brussel Airlines also serves Togo with several flights per week. Several African carriers also provide regular flights between Lome and various capitals. This is the case of Royal Air Maroc ASKY, Air Senegal International, Ethiopian Airlines, Air Burkina and Air Ivoire (taken over by Air France).
Depending on the company, it used to be between 400 and 500 € round trip, nowadays with the health crisis the rates are very variable. Advice: make sure you buy a ticket with a cancellation and modification option. Members of the Centre Des Hommes team will pick you up at LOME airport. Don't forget to provide us with your dates, times and flight number.
The first night is planned in Lomé in an accommodation of the organisation, hostel or hotel, and the next day you will make a passage to the visa service (for the extension of it). Then go to the bank to change money (participation fees and pocket money) and to buy a sim card in case you need to use a mobile phone. At the of your mission maybe we visit the France Volontaire association to inform them of your presence in Togo?
FORMALITIES PASSPORT: The validity must be superior to 6 months from the date of return of the stay.
-Togo Embassy in France- 8 rue Alfred Roll-75017 Paris - Tel : 01.43.80.12.13 fax : 0156266510 http://www.consulatogo.org/ The deposit of the documents is done only in the morning, and the withdrawal of the visas in the afternoon!
- Service Actions-visas - 69 rue de la glacière -75013 Paris; Tel : 01 45 88 56 70. Internet : www.actionvisas.com
Open Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 12 pm and from 1:30 pm to 6:30 pm, Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm. Visas can be obtained quickly, the fee is 20 €. You can download the forms for free on their website. The visa made on the website of the consulate is about 55€ for one month to 125€ for 3 months.
Even if you did not received the visa of Togo before you take off from your departure country note that the visa can be made directly in Togo when you arrive and costs about 16€/month. Covid PCR test on arrival and departure from Lomé airport is: 80 000 FCFA or 121€.
Advice from Centre Des Hommes: Do not apply for a visa before your departure on the internet or in Paris, it is much more expensive to do it in your country. You can or will do it when you arrive at the airport in Lomé. Once you arrive in Lomé, you will go to the other applications/no visa service. They will give you a form to fill out (similar to the one you received on the plane). Return to the service, to give them back the form well filled and signed with your passport, and the information sheet of the plane and with a sum of 10 000 FCFA or 20 € (so bring some money!!! either before, or at the airport of Lomé where there is a distributor). It is better to give 10 000 FCFA (it is cheaper: 16€). They will tell you to wait, you can go and get your luggage while waiting (do not take a "porter", take yourself caddies and your suitcases, otherwise you have to pay the "porters' ' at the exit). Come back to the service to get your passports, check that the dates are correct, you will have a 7 day visa and that it is well stamped with a 10 000 FCFA tax stamp. You can leave the airport through a baggage detector (sometimes they ask you to open the bags). And get out!!! We are waiting for you !!!
The next day we (you and a member of our team) will go to the visa service in Lomé to apply for and extend your visa for free in order to be within the limits of your stay (minimum one month visa)! We will leave them the passports and we will go to get them the day after tomorrow morning (bring 500 FCFA and 2 passport photos for the form to fill in for the visa). Provide passport photos (2/month) for the extension of the visa. Possibility to do them on the spot (1000 FCFA for 2 photos). It will be necessary to renew the visa every month: 10 000 FCFA per month + about 2000 FCFA (visa form and passport photos), we will try to make the complete visa (total number of months of your stay) when you arrive but it is possible to come back after the first month on the territory to redo the other visas.
Registration Embassy of France It is preferable to register on the site below, it allows in case of problems in the country of travel to be informed of the recommendations of France. https://pastel.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fildariane.
Print the copy after registration.
BANK be sure to tell your bank about your trip and find out what withdrawal fees, numbers and amounts are allowed. They can also cover you in case of accident/repatriation/illness, sometimes with your bank card.
INSURANCE Inform your insurance company of your departure and know your rights in case of accident/repatriation/illness. The association does not take out private insurance for the duration of your stay abroad. We strongly advise you to take out an insurance policy which should cover, in particular and as a priority, the following costs
- cancellation of the trip
- medical and paramedical
In no case, the organisation will take charge of these expenses and will not advance these expenses. You will have to inform the organisation with the coordinates of two persons to be informed in case of need and the coordinates of your insurance policy.
MONEY and EXCHANGE
1€ = 655,957 CFA Francs On site, only the VISA card allows you to withdraw cash. For Travellers Cheques, you must have a receipt from the bank to be able to change them in Lomé... Or you can make transfers with Western Union.
For social protection, your health insurance company will reimburse you upon presentation of bills and fees.
- Vaccination for yellow fever is compulsory in Togo, even if the authorities do not systematically control it... Vaccination center Air France- Paris (7é): Aérogare des Invalides. Tel: 01 43 17 22 00
- Vaccinations required in France (Dt polio...)
- Other vaccinations (hepatitis A, B, C, meningitis...), ask your doctor for advice.
Anti-malaria treatment to take with you (Malarone, Doxypalu or other products that your doctor will prescribe), there are also natural alternative treatments.
COVID 19 :
Everything is very well explained on how to come to the country.
You will need a negative Covid test dated less than 72 hours for your departure and to be presented at the boarding at the airport of departure (to be seen according to the airline companies). Upon arrival in Togo, you must repeat a Covid PCR test (60 € at your expense) and put an application on your phone to track your movements in case of Covid. You will have to do the same test again when you leave for France (again at your expense).
Bring an emergency kit, medication for headache and throat, "turista", vomiting, antibiotics...and water purification tablets.
- vegetables: for safety, wash well and soak in salt/juice water.
- Drinking water: bottled mineral water (400 FCFA/1.5 L) or mineral water sachets (25 FCFA/500 ml) or Micropur Forte water tablets (to be purchased on your side) or filtering flask.
- Be careful with mineral water bottles that the Togolese fill with well water despite the inscriptions of all kinds written with felt pen on the bottles (main source of contamination).
Accommodation is included. Upon arrival, you will spend one night in an accommodation of the association Aktion Verte or in an inn/hotel. For your mission, you will be lodged either in a home or in the association's accommodation. To be defined more precisely at the time of the validation of your coming. Please bring a light sleeping bag or a blanket/blanket for cool nights and a mosquito net.
MEALS Food is also included. It is provided by local (Togolese) volunteers of Aktion Verte in collaboration with the expatriates/volunteers/interns. We will make a tasty mix of Togolese dishes adapted to the palate of the "yovos" (expatriates)! In the host family, please specify if you do not eat certain things, possibility to cook with them, and to exchange on our cultural and gastronomic differences!
Household chores (washing up, cleaning, cooking...) are shared between the people of the association and the trainees or/and volunteers. In the family, the participation in the tasks is identical.
Everyone must participate and respect the common rules. For drinking water supply, you should have a small extra budget to buy spring water in bottles, sachets or micropure, or come with a filtering gourd. For brushing your teeth, you can bring water purification tablets (or an ecological version: clay + lemon essential oil) or drinking water.
Note that our staple food in Togo is yams, corn, cassava, beans, potatoes, rice, vegetables, pasta, meat... People with special diets are asked to let us know in the volunteer application form and upon arrival.
Weekends are free and dedicated to different tourist sites and outings (excursions, waterfalls, botanical walks, animal parks, canoeing and beach). As the weekends are free, the meals will not be provided by the association. Possibilities of day trips, weekend trips or multi-day trips. During these moments "out of training course or out of voluntary work", the expenses remain with the load of the accomodated person (lodging, visits, food, displacements, drinks, memories...). Moreover, during the outings or trips, a Togolese volunteer and/or a guide will be with you to accompany you (He will serve as a guide, for your safety and to avoid scams), the expenses of the Togolese volunteer and/or the guide (food, accommodation, travel) will be charged to the trainee(s)/volunteer(s), guiding fees may be requested.
DETAILS OF THE PARTICIPATION FEES DISTRIBUTION
The participation fee includes: Food:
- Food during the entire stay will be provided by Centre Des Hommes or the host family (3 meals per day: breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Accommodation during the time in Lomé for the arrival and departure formalities in an accommodation of the association or a hostel or hotel
- Lodging at the internship/mission site
- Water, electricity and internet connection if possible (depends on the place of mission).
- Reception and return of the volunteer/intern at the airport,
- Travel from the accommodation in Lomé to the consulate of his/her country of origin for registration, to the bank for currency exchange, visa service and for other formalities at the beginning of the internship/mission (Sim card, Covid test).
- Transportation to and from Kpalimé or the internship/mission site
Operation of the association and management of the mission/internship:
- Administrative expenses (photocopies, documents...), travel expenses for the internship/mission;
- Purchase of materials necessary for the mission/internship.
The participation fees do not include:
- The weekends being free, the meals will not be provided by the association;
- Personal expenses (purchase of drinks, souvenirs, etc.);
- Personal travel (leisure and recreation);
- Possible medical expenses (need to have a repatriation insurance);
- Travel arrangements (airfare, vaccinations, visa, insurance, etc.)
- Visiting fees for tourist sites and excursions during the weekends (for visits not included in the course or mission);
- Accommodation outside the association for weekends away;
- Personal telephone expenses (purchase of a Sim card (1€), telephone or internet roaming package)
How much to change?
You should also have some pocket money for your personal expenses (outings during the weekends, tourist visits, parties, souvenirs, telephone, Internet...): about 200 to 350 € per month, depending on your needs (it also depends on what you want to do!) Plan a reserve in case of medical expenses.
WHAT TO BRING ?
- A light sleeping bag / sheet or blanket
- Lightweight clothing (preferably cotton/linen)
- Appropriate clothing for evenings out or during the organised weekend excursions
- Walking shoes (hiking boots or sneakers) - organised excursion weekend
- Sweater for the evening: the nights can be cool!
- Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen (high factor)
- Impregnated mosquito net (have the possibility to pay for it on the spot because it costs less here)
- A swimsuit and a bath sheet: a trip to the beach or waterfalls. Be careful: the sea can be dangerous, the sea bed being shifting and the currents strong.
- Toiletries + towels; bring Marseille soap to wash yourself or any ecological product, as well as to wash your clothes: there is no water treatment! - A small brush to wash clothes, clothes pins, string... baby wipes are very practical in many cases!
- A flashlight or dynamo lamp for the night (it is dark at 6 pm)
- Bring a first aid kit for first aid, common medicines (for headaches, "turista", vomiting, antibiotics, urinary tract infection...) + water purification tablets.
- Center Des Hommes does not provide toilet paper (possibility to buy it on site (0.20€ per roll) + tissues...
- Notepad, pencils, pens...
For the Association and if you have a little space left! As we do not receive any subsidy from the State, we accept anything that can help us in the functioning of the association and for our actions/missions: material for animations, agriculture (gardening material, seeds...), administration, office and computer equipment (stationery, USB keys, laptops, digital cameras, A4 sheets, pens, textbooks, books, games, ...)
Please note that all your belongings are your responsibility and that the CDH organisation will not be held responsible for any incidents (theft, loss...).
WORK SCHEDULE/STAGE To be defined upon arrival on site and during the course/mission. But normally from Monday to Friday from 8am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm. The volunteer or the trainee commits to respect the conditions and information noted above.