Water, the source of life for all human beings, remains a problem for some localities, with none in some villages where Centre des Hommes works. In Togo, we evaluated five villages that suffer from a lack of drinking water during the year.
So, the only chance to get water is to wait for rain. Unfortunately it does not fall every season of the year, and during the long dry season in some areas water becomes scarce for the most vulnerable households and poor farmers. We have therefore decided to intervene to ensure the villages have secure drinking water at all times. So, the idea is to dig public wells or build boreholes that will be fed to taps by pipes and a pump.
This is to say we have evaluated the lack of water in five villages, and wish to build wells or boreholes linked to pumps and taps so that the the villagers can have drinking water. The project will be a collaboration with the whole village and neighbourhood.
Achieving drinkable water.
Construct wells and boreholes for villages in need, to create a secure source of drinking water.
- Improve the quality of life in the villages.
- Improve agricultural production.
- Improve health in these villages.
- Reduce the cost of living of the villagers.
- Contribute to the cultural development of these villages by the provision of drinking water.
- Construction of wells or boreholes that are fed to taps at a public place in the villages.
- Draw water from wells to irrigate crops, improving agricultural production.
- Facilitate access to safe water for health reasons to save lives.
- Reduce the cost of obtaining water, and therefore the cost of living.
- Prepare farmers for the changes this will bring to cultivation and harvesting.
- Maintain wells and boreholes through village development committees.
Beneficiary and Result to be obtained:
More than 500 villagers per village will receive drinking water either by the well or by the boreholes fed through taps.
Additional agricultural cultivations will be possible in the dry season.
So, the populations of the villages will be able to have drinking water through all the seasons of the year.